Some people have claimed that installing a bidet was life-changing.
But how can this simple device be so dramatically impactful? Is it possible for a bidet in your bathroom to completely change your life? Or are these people exaggerating the positive influence of this new accessory?
The Role of a Bidet
Bidets come in many shapes and sizes, but they all serve a similar purpose: getting you clean after you use the bathroom. Some bidets are standalone, functioning as separate devices, while others are simple attachments for your existing toilet. Either way, the bidet is designed to spray your underside with water, allowing you to wash yourself – instead of merely using toilet paper to wipe.
Some bidets come with additional attachments, such as temperature controls, pressure settings, and even accessories like toilet seat heating. Accordingly, different products are associated with a different range of benefits.
Measurable Points of Impact
All bidets carry the following advantages:
- Greater comfort. Even if you’re skeptical about the advantages of bidet, you’re probably not super comfortable with toilet paper. Toilet paper is an abrasive substance, even if it’s been manufactured to be as soft as possible. Manually wiping yourself can be irritating, or even downright painful in some situations. Gently rinsing yourself with water is usually much more comfortable.
- Superior cleanliness. Many people appreciate the days because of their capacity to provide more thorough cleaning. If you’ve ever had the experience of eating chicken wings, you know that wiping your hands off with a paper towel or a napkin isn’t sufficient to get them truly clean. Instead, you need to rinse them off with water. This same principle applies to the bathroom; washing with water is better than wiping with paper.
- Cost savings. Most bidets are capable of paying for themselves, since they dramatically reduce your need for toilet paper (you’ll still need some to dry yourself off after rinsing). After just a few years, your savings should easily amount to three figures.
- Guilt-free sustainability. Are you concerned about the environment? You can stop worrying and start living more sustainably by using a bidet. These bathroom devices are considered to be environmentally sustainable, or at least more sustainable than using toilet paper. You can dramatically reduce, or even eliminate a major source of paper consumption in your household while simultaneously only increasing your water consumption slightly.
- Reduced risk of hemorrhoids and UTIs. Bidets are shown to reduce the risk of certain health complications like urinary tract infections (UTIs) and hemorrhoids. This is especially valuable if you’ve ever suffered from these problems in the past.
- Accessory support. Some bidets are even more beneficial because of the extra features or accessories they include. For example, if your bidet comes with a heated toilet seat or advanced temperature controls that make the stream of water perfect, you may have an even higher opinion of it.
- Talking points. And, of course, some people like to own bidets because they serve as an interesting talking point. Guests who use your bathroom for the first time will get to have a fascinating new experience – and a unique conversation after the fact.
Is It Life Changing?
As we can see, bidets are a functionally and measurably useful upgrade to almost any bathroom. You can save money, get cleaner, and feel more refreshed after using the bathroom; but can we really say this is life changing?
In a sense, yes. But it’s probably not as life changing as winning the lottery or landing your dream job. Instead, some people reporting on the life changing nature of bidets are motivated by one of the following:
- Genuine surprise. Most people who buy a bidet already believe it’s going to be a positive fixture. But some people underestimate just how big of a difference it can make. If you’re blown away by the benefits, you’re likely to describe them as life changing.
- Bathroom issues. Some people appreciate bidets because they address specific types of personal issues, such as reducing the risk of hemorrhoids. If you constantly struggle with hemorrhoids, UTIs, or other issues, a bidet can legitimately change your life.
- Trend chasing. Bidets started exploding in popularity a few years ago in the United States; in most other developed areas of the world, they’ve been the norm for decades. There’s no doubt that bidets are currently “in” as a trend – and it’s a trend many people are willing to chase for the sake of boosting their own popularity or perceived image.
There’s no doubt that some people who call bidets life-changing are exaggerating. But these bathroom devices can and do have a substantial and positive impact. If you’re looking to improve your bathroom experience, or if you just want to see what all the hype is about, it’s probably worth buying one.